The Photon and Neutron Open Science Cloud (PaNOSC)
The Photon and Neutron Open Science Cloud (PaNOSC) is a European project for making FAIR data a reality in 6 European Research Infrastructures (RIs), developing and providing services for scientific data and connecting these to the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC).
- Participate in the construction of the EOSC by linking with the e-infrastructures and other ESFRI clusters.
- Make scientific data produced at Europe’s major Photon and Neutron sources fully compatible with the FAIR principles.
- Generalise the adoption of open data policies, standard metadata and data stewardship from 15 photon and neutron RIs and physics institutes across Europe
- Provide innovative data services to the users of these facilities locally and the scientific community at large via the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC).
- Increase the impact of RIs by ensuring data from user experiments can be used beyond the initial scope.
- Share the outcomes with the national RIs who are observers in the proposal and the community at large to promote the adoption of FAIR data principles, data stewardship and the EOSC.
If you would like to be kept informed about the project, its activities and results, please subscribe to our mailing list by clicking below:
- Published 1st March 2021
White paper on suitability of HNScienceCloud and EOSC for synchrotron and FEL applications released
In the frame of the H2020 CALIPSOplus project, a white paper was released, which identifies the needs specific to synchrotrons and FELs towards the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) and how these research infrastructures and their user communities can best take advantage of the EOSC. The CALIPSOplus project brings together all photon sources in Europe. […]Read
- Published 11th February 2021
Interview with Juncheng E on the photon experiment simulation environment SIMEX (with DEMO)
PaNOSC, in the frame of work package 5, has been developing the Virtual Neutron and X-ray Laboratory (ViNYL), which will offer services for simulation and modelling of neutron and photon sources, beamlines and experimental instrument, as well as start-to-end simulations to describe entire experiments at photon and neutron facilities. Juncheng E, scientist for photon experiment simulations […]Read
- Published 21st January 2021
PaNOSC Call for Use Cases
PaNOSC and ExPaNDS are developing data management and analysis services for the photon and neutron user community. These services will be available first locally and in the future via the EOSC. To help as large a user community as possible, PaNOSC has launched a call for Use Cases for the data management services being developed. Anyone […]Read
- Published 23rd February 2021
Use case 11 - Create DOIs for datasets in paleontology database
The ESRF hosted paleontology database http://paleo.esrf.fr/ contains hundreds of unique datasets of ancient specimens from around the world. The database has been in existence since 2011. It contains mostly reconstructed data of 3D volumes of specimens. The specimens are mostly from museums around the world. Their ages range from thousands to hundreds of millions of […]Read
- Published 22nd February 2021
Use Case 10 - Linking raw data to the Protein Data Bank in Europe (PDBe)
The protein data bank (PDBe in Europe) is the reference repository for protein structures. All protein structures determined by different techniques are stored in the PDB. Since 2019 it is possible to link the protein structure entry to the raw data (images) often taken at the photon sources. As described in this article, “the model […]Read
- Published 16th February 2021
Use Case 9 - Serial Femtosecond Crystallography Experiment Simulation
Serial femtosecond crystallography is a powerful tool to resolve the structure of mesoscopic crystals, especially for small proteins. However, there are many complications, such as the pixel noise, unfunctional detector tiles and X-ray fluctuation, affecting the success of the experiment. By simulation with SimEx, one can predict the possible effects of the complications to help […]Read
PaNOSC & ExPaNDS Internal Workshop “Train the Trainers” / 2
2nd workshop: 23-24 March 2021 / online As part of the PaNOSC and ExPaNDS projects, we are provisioning an e-learning platform under the domain name pan-learning.org. The e-learning platform is an adaptation of the e-learning platform e-neutrons.org to the wider photon and neutron (PaN) scattering community. Train the Trainer Workshop’s Scope To facilitate the adaptation […]More info