The Photon and Neutron Open Science Cloud (PaNOSC)
The Photon and Neutron Open Science Cloud (PaNOSC) is a European project for making FAIR data a reality in 6 European Research Infrastructures (RIs), developing and providing services for scientific data and connecting these to the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC).
- Participate in the construction of the EOSC by linking with the e-infrastructures and other ESFRI clusters.
- Make scientific data produced at Europe’s major Photon and Neutron sources fully compatible with the FAIR principles.
- Generalise the adoption of open data policies, standard metadata and data stewardship from 15 photon and neutron RIs and physics institutes across Europe
- Provide innovative data services to the users of these facilities locally and the scientific community at large via the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC).
- Increase the impact of RIs by ensuring data from user experiments can be used beyond the initial scope.
- Share the outcomes with the national RIs who are observers in the proposal and the community at large to promote the adoption of FAIR data principles, data stewardship and the EOSC.
If you would like to be kept informed about the project, its activities and results, please subscribe to our mailing list by clicking below:
- Published 21st January 2021
PaNOSC Call for Use Cases
PaNOSC and ExPaNDS are developing data management and analysis services for the photon and neutron user community. These services will be available first locally and in the future via the EOSC. To help as large a user community as possible, PaNOSC has launched a call for Use Cases for the data management services being developed. Anyone […]Read
- Published 4th January 2021
Interview with Mads Bertelsen on performing McStas simulations with McStasScript
Mads Bertelsen (European Spallation Source) is a PaNOSC contributor in work package 5 – Virtual Neutron and X-ray laboratory (ViNYL). His work is focused on developing neutron scattering simulation tools, ensuring that they can be exposed as online services. We interviewed Dr. Bertelsen, to learn more on the new Phyton API McStasScript developed in PaNOSC. […]Read
- Published 21st December 2020
Election of the 1st President and Executive Board of the EOSC Association
PaNOSC congratulates the new Executive Board (EB) of the EOSC Association. Four project partners are among the members (ESRF, CERIC-ERIC, European XFEL and the ESS). The project coordinator, Andy Götz, stated: “This is a critical step, as now the EOSC has a well defined executive structure which will be able to oversee and steer the […]Read
- Published 21st January 2021
Use Case 7 - Data Transfer using EGI-DataHub/Onedata
Until recently, most Neutron and X-ray (Photon and Neutron also known as PaN) facility users had to use predominantly portable media to transfer data produced by the research infrastructure’s (RI) instruments to their home lab for analyses. This was the predominant model some years ago, when the volume of data was relatively low and compatible […]Read
- Published 18th January 2021
Use Case 6 - Analysing 2D uXRD maps for cultural heritage samples
Improving the efficiency of 2D uXRD experiments (many different users, a possible regular beamtime, remote experiment), would help to have a dedicated Jupyter notebook for data processing. It would be a good way: To save time; To record which map has already been processed and how; To have a coherent data processing between users and […]Read
- Published 14th January 2021
Use Case 5 - Detector Calibration
European XFEL uses a range of pixel detectors, including some which are custom built to cope with the high pulse rate. The raw data recorded from these detectors needs various corrections applied as a first step in analysing it. The workflows for applying corrections and for creating the calibration constants they use are implemented in […]Read
PaNOSC & ExPaNDS Internal Workshop “Train the Trainers” / 1
1st workshop: 9-11 February 2021 / online 2nd workshop: 23-24 March 2021 / online As part of the PaNOSC and ExPaNDS project, we are provisioning an e-learning platform under the domain name pan-learning.org. The e-learning platform is an adaptation of the e-learning platform e-neutrons.org to the wider photon and neutron (PaN) scattering community. Train the […]More info
PaNOSC & ExPaNDS Internal Workshop “Train the Trainers” / 2
2nd workshop: 23-24 March 2021 / online As part of the PaNOSC and ExPaNDS projects, we are provisioning an e-learning platform under the domain name pan-learning.org. The e-learning platform is an adaptation of the e-learning platform e-neutrons.org to the wider photon and neutron (PaN) scattering community. Train the Trainer Workshop’s Scope To facilitate the adaptation […]More info