The Photon and Neutron Open Science Cloud (PaNOSC)
The Photon and Neutron Open Science Cloud (PaNOSC) is a European project for making FAIR data a reality in 6 European Research Infrastructures (RIs), developing and providing services for scientific data and connecting these to the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC).
- Participate in the construction of the EOSC by linking with the e-infrastructures and other ESFRI clusters.
- Make scientific data produced at Europe’s major Photon and Neutron sources fully compatible with the FAIR principles.
- Generalise the adoption of open data policies, standard metadata and data stewardship from 15 photon and neutron RIs and physics institutes across Europe
- Provide innovative data services to the users of these facilities locally and the scientific community at large via the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC).
- Increase the impact of RIs by ensuring data from user experiments can be used beyond the initial scope.
- Share the outcomes with the national RIs who are observers in the proposal and the community at large to promote the adoption of FAIR data principles, data stewardship and the EOSC.
If you would like to be kept informed about the project, its activities and results, please subscribe to our mailing list by clicking below:
Published 23rd November 2022
Brochure on PaNOSC key achievements released
The PaNOSC final brochure has been released, with an overview of the main project’s achievements at the end of the H2020 grant, towards making FAIR data a reality at photon and neutron (PaN) facilities in Europe. In particular, the publication highlights results in the fields of data stewardship, from data collection through to publication, showcasing the […]Read
Published 18th November 2022
3rd PaN EOSC Symposium - An Overview
18 October 2022, Brno & online PaNOSC and ExPaNDS organised the 3rd Photon and Neutron (PaN) EOSC Symposium on sustainable data from PaN facilities as a satellite event to the International Conference of Research Infrastructures (ICRI), held in Brno (CZ) on the 18th October 2022. The symposium, which hosted 12 participants onsite and 32 online […]Read
Published 18th November 2022
New SIMEX-based research paper just published in Structural Dynamics
A new peer-reviewed open access paper has been released in the Structural Dynamics journal, as a result of the work conducted in PaNOSC to setup and develop tools for simulation of experiments at PaN facilities. ABSTRACT The unprecedented intensity of x-ray free-electron laser sources has enabled single-particle x-ray diffraction imaging (SPI) of various biological specimens […]Read
Published 5th July 2022
Use case 31 - Seamless connection of Jupyter notebooks and GUI applications for e-learning purposes
Open education through MOOCs (massive open online courses) has attracted considerable attention in recent years, both due to availability in technology, and to a recent increase in demand for online content. The PaN e-learning platform is a portal which represents the joint effort of the PaN community. The PaNOSC and ExPaNDS projects have been building […]Read
Published 26th April 2022
Use Case 30 - VISA - Data Analysis in the Cloud
With the introduction of VISA (Virtual Infrastructure for Scientific Analysis) in June 2020, there has been a significant change with how scientists analyse experimental data and perform experiments at the ILL. Using a web browser, within a couple of minutes, a researcher can get access to a high-performance and secure data analysis environment, installed with […]Read
Published 28th February 2022
Use Case 29 – Run orange-pylost as a cloud service
Orange-pylost is a new open-source software developed for providing data analysis tools for surface optical metrology. The software is widely used by ESRF and many other European light sources for analysis of X-ray mirror metrology data, especially for the subaperture-stitching methods implemented in the software. A cloud version of the software would expand its reach […]Read