Data Curation Scientist @ESS
Description of division
The Data Management and Software Centre (DMSC), part of the ESS Science Directorate, is responsible for the design, development and construction of the computer software and hardware to be used for the operation and data analysis of the experiments to be carried out on the neutron scattering and imaging instruments to be constructed at ESS. DMSC performs work at both the ESS offices in Lund, Sweden and at the main DMSC offices in Copenhagen, Denmark.
Description of main responsibilities
The Scientific Web Applications team delivers critical software that make neutron scattering experiments at the ESS possible and successful. One aspect of that is to provide the data catalogue and automatic processing capabilities that enable visiting scientist to effectively make use of their scattering data.
The task for this position is to participate in the development of a data curation (data cataloguing) system that captures metadata about raw and processed experimental data and makes that information available to scientists in a form that is useful to them in their domain of expertise. Central parts of that system will be developed using the Angular web framework and a NOSQL database (MongoDB). The development happens in a collaborative, open source environment.
In particular, the role is to:
- Develop software for ESS scientific operations
- Coordinate the development of software frameworks data processing and cataloguing
- Gathering specific requirements for software functionality
- Work with project partners and support them in their development efforts
- The role is both suitable for candidates from a scientific background intending to move into a more software focused career as well as for trained software developers with an interest in science.
To be successful in this positions the candidate should have:
- M.S. in Computer Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Applied Mathematics, etc. or equivalent work experience
- Experience with two or more of the following technical or scientific areas:
- Web technologies and frameworks
- Message brokers
- GNU/Linux based operating systems
- Automatic testing and deployment infrastructures
- Data Management for experimental raw and derived data Metadata ontologies for experimental data
- Persistent identifiers (DOIs, PIDs)
- Experience of working in an international environment is advantage.
- Excellent oral and written English skills are a prerequisite.
Our work environment is characterised by fast growth, fast pace of work, and an international atmosphere with highly skilled personnel. You must therefore enjoy the diversity of such an environment and have a personality suited for the challenges it presents. Our work environment is exciting and forward thinking and relies heavily on personal initiative.
What ESS can offer
ESS can offer you a variety of things, such as passionate colleagues, a vibrant melting pot of diversity, and a challenging and high paced work environment where our employees take great pride in designing and building a world leading facility for materials research.
If you were to join ESS, you would become an important piece of the puzzle, since all our skilled staff are needed in order to fulfill the overall mission. We value and need expertise, innovative minds, great ways of leading and interacting with others, and the ability to work with people regardless of culture and background.
Duration & Location
The position is permanent with three months initial probationary period
Your work place will be situated in Copenhagen, Denmark. The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae and cover letter in English by clicking on “apply” and following the instructions. Please note we only accept applications via the ESS website or ESS intranet. Internal candidates are encouraged to apply through the intranet.
The deadline for applications is April 30th, 2020.
For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process in general, please follow this link.
For further information regarding the position, please contact the recruiting manager, Fredrik Bolmsten, Section Leader for Scientific Web Applications, Fredrik.Bolmsten@ess.eu.
For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer, Karin Vandenborre, Karin.Vandenborre@esss.se.
We look forward to receiving your application!