3rd Photon & Neutron (PaN) EOSC symposium of PaNOSC & ExPaNDS @ICRI2022
The 3rd Photon & Neutron (PaN) EOSC symposium of PaNOSC & ExPaNDS will focus on sustainable data from PaN facilities. The symposium will be held on 18th October 2022 as an onsite & online satellite event to the ICRI 2022 conference, to share the major results achieved in making FAIR data a reality at PaN facilities across Europe, and explore how a “PaN Data Commons” can be integrated into the EOSC, in collaboration with the other ESFRI cluster projects.
Organiser: Extreme Light Infrastructure ERIC (ELI ERIC)
The 3rd Photon and Neutron (PaN) EOSC symposium of PaNOSC & ExPaNDS will present the major results achieved in the frame of the two H2020 projects, working towards making FAIR data a reality at PaN facilities across Europe.
The two projects’ results include:
- The adoption of FAIR data principles and policies to ensure data stewardship is FAIR, from the collection of processed data together with accurate metadata, through to publication and its reuse;
- The set-up of federated (meta)data catalogues and federated search API for data findability as a PaN Data Commons;
- Increase in accessibility of datasets – from detector data to final publication – and open source data analysis software, via a Persistent Identifier (PID) for data and instruments;
- The adoption of a standard data format for higher interoperability;
- The setup, adoption and use of an integrated and interoperable virtual environment for analysing PaN datasets, which enables scientists to run pipelines for data analysis and simulation;
- The setup of a training catalogue and e-learning platform with resources and courses on PaN science.
The main host of the event, the Extreme Light Infrastructure (ELI) is the first international laser research infrastructure dedicated to science and research applications of ultra-intense and ultra-short laser pulses. ELI will contribute to the symposium with a talk on Sustainable FAIR Data at High Power Laser Facilities.
The 2nd part of the event will include a panel discussion on EOSC Data Federation sustainability, in which representatives from the EOSC Association and the ESFRI cluster projects will discuss the various possibilities to make the services developed throughout the projects financially sustainable in the long-term, also taking into account the outcomes of the discussion on the topic by the members of the EOSC Financial Sustainable Task Force.
Our closing panel discussion will focus on sustainability models, which may be implemented for PaN data to be FAIR in the long run. Key representatives of the community of PaN facilities will share their vision and experiences, and exchange on models to make the PaN Data Commons sustainable much beyond the duration of the two projects, starting from what was proposed in the LEAPS ESAPS white paper.
Join us, either online, or onsite in Brno.
For onsite participation, beware that places are limited! Register now to reserve your seat.
Registration deadline: 16 September
- 13:30-14:00 – Introduction and presentation of PaNOSC and ExPaNDS results – Andy Götz (Software Group Leader at ESRF – PaNOSC coordinator) and Patrick Fuhrmann (Head of DESY IT R&I group – ExPaNDS coordinator)
- 14:00-14:20 – ELI ERIC Sustainable FAIR Data at High Power Laser Facilities – Teodor Ivanoaica (Sr Coordinator for Scientific Computation and Data Management at ELI-ERIC)
- 14:20-14:40 – Q&A + Coffee break
- 14:40-15:40 – Panel discussion on EOSC Data Federation sustainability
- Dale Robertson, EGI Senior Strategy and Innovation Officer
- Franciska M. G. de Jong, CESSDA Executive Director – SSHOC
- Ornela De Giacomo, CERIC-ERIC Deputy Director – PaNOSC
- More speakers from the EOSC science cluster projects TBC
- 15:40-16:20 – Panel discussion on sustainability models for the PaN Data Commons. Risks, opportunities and vision for European PaN collaboration
- Robert McGreevy, LENS Chair
- LEAPS representative
- Allen Weeks, ELI ERIC General Director
- Florian Gliksohn, ELI Executive Director
- Andy Götz, ESRF – PaNOSC
- Patrick Fuhrmann, DESY – ExPaNDS
- 17:00-17:20 – Closing remarks
Who should attend
- Research infrastructures’ and e-infrastructures’ managers and staff – to contribute to the discussion with the ESFRI clusters and the PaN community about sustainability models of the EOSC.
- Representatives of the PaN community – to have an overview of the FAIR data services developed in the projects, and their benefits for PaN science.
- Policymakers and funding agencies – to learn more about the projects’ achievements in the long-term, sustainable data services and their next steps toward FAIR data for PaN.